Friday 19 August 2011

more messages from Gavin Barwell

Dear Mr Bunny Chow,

Thank you for all your further feedback about last week’s disgraceful looting and arson. It’s been great to see Croydon police making so many arrests and the courts at last punishing people appropriately. I hope you don’t mind me bothering you again with three pleas for help:

Helping Croydon get back on its feet

Hundreds of you have asked what you can do to help Croydon get back on its feet. The recent events have left many small businesses struggling and even the large high street stores have seen a reduction in footfall. This weekend the best thing you can do is head into Croydon town centre and spend some money. I will be doing just that with my family on Saturday. The Mayor of London and the Council have announced a range of offers for Saturday and Sunday including:

·         free tram travel over the weekend;
·         free parking on-street and in surface car parks throughout the town centre, including South End and London Road;
·         discounted £2 all-day parking at Whitgift, Centrale and Allders car park;
·         free children’s play area at Beanies (Saturday only); and
·         free face painting at Croydon Visitor Centre (Saturday only).
·          
For more weekend discounts in Croydon, click here

Even before last week’s events, many people had stopped going to the town centre. It’s time we reclaimed it. Both the Government and the Mayor have this week announced help for Croydon but ultimately the future of our town centre lies in our hands.

For a full list of other ways to help or get involved in rebuilding Croydon, click here

Please forward this to your neighbours and friends in the Croydon area.

Sponsored walk

On Sunday 18th September, I will be doing my annual sponsored walk around the border of the constituency – a total of around 16 miles. This year I am raising money for Croydon Crossroads, a great local charity that supports carers (they provided outstanding support to my Mum when my Dad was sick with Alzheimer’s). If you’d like to sponsor me, you can do so by clicking here or send a cheque made payable to “Croydon Crossroads Ltd” to 133 Wickham Road, Croydon CR0 8TE.

Delivering surveys

I had planned to spend the last two weeks delivering the survey I am distributing to every family in the constituency asking for feedback on how I could do a better job (some of you will have received this already but I have still to deliver it to over a quarter of the constituency) – but obviously responding to last Monday’s rioting has taken up all my time.

If you would be prepared to deliver a hundred or so surveys, you can either meet me outside the Addington Community Association at 10am on Saturday 20th August or, if you’re not free on Saturday morning but would be prepared to help at another time, let me know and I’ll get the surveys to you. I would be really grateful to anyone who could help.


Gavin Barwell
MP for Croydon Central



If this message has been forwarded to you and you wish to be added to Gavin Barwell MP’s mailing list, or alternatively if you no longer wish to receive these emails, please email jennifer.clark@parliament.uk.



UK Parliament Disclaimer:
This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. This e-mail has been checked for viruses, but no liability is accepted for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, Mr Barwell has not delivered a survey to me. I wonder if the fsct that it is one of the more affluent parts of Croydon where the majority already vote for his party?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get one either, I suspect a lack of volunteers to be the problem.

    ReplyDelete